Vegan Kimchi PancakesMar 01, 2023
Vegan Kimchi Pancakes: A Flavorful and Family-Friendly Delight
Are you looking to spice up your culinary adventures? Look no further than these vegan kimchi pancakes! I decided to put my own twist on it and create a plant-based version that bursts with flavor. These kimchi pancakes are not only delicious but also a hit with kids. Join me as I share the recipe for these beautiful and flavorful pancakes that will surely become a new favorite in your household.
What you’ll need:
- 1.5 cups coarsely chopped kimchi
- 1 tablespoon kimchi brine
- 3/4 cup flour of your choice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water)
How to prepare:
- Combine one tablespoon of ground flaxseed in a small bowl with three tablespoons of water. Stir well and let it sit for a few minutes until it thickens to an egg-like consistency. This will act as a binding agent in the pancake batter.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the kimchi brine, soy sauce (or tamari), and water. Add the flax egg to this mixture and stir until well combined. Add the flour of your choice to the wet mixture. Stir until the flour is fully incorporated and no lumps remain.
- Now, the batter should have a thick and smooth consistency. Fold in the coarsely chopped kimchi, diced onion, and chopped scallions into the batter. The kimchi adds a spicy and tangy flavor, while the onions and scallions provide a fresh and aromatic element to the pancakes.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Finally, once the oil is hot, drop 1/4 to 1/3 cupful of batter onto the skillet, spreading it out slightly to form pancakes.
- Cook each pancake until golden brown, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Flip and cook the other side until equally golden and crispy.
- Once cooked, transfer the kimchi pancakes to a serving plate.
- Garnish them with vibrant microgreens for an added burst of freshness. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, such as soy sauce, tamari, or a spicy gochujang sauce.
These pancakes are perfect as an appetizer, snack, or main course. Enjoy them warm and savor the delightful combination of flavors and textures!